Susan Garnett, CEO, joined MHMR in 1996 as the leader of services for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. She has served many executive roles prior to being selected CEO in 2012. She has developed new and innovative ways of serving our community.
Susan is an active advocate and educator at local, state
and national levels on community mental health services and programs for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. She serves on the Executive Committee of the Texas Council of Community Centers, the statewide association of all 39 community centers like MHMR.
Under her leadership, Tarrant County:
- Developed the first Aging and Disability Resource Center in Texas
- Developed new targeted resources for homeless persons
- Implemented an innovative program for youth at risk of institutionalization
- Initiated county-wide mobile crisis mental health services
- Developed new transit initiatives for Tarrant County residents with disabilities
- Works closely with community stakeholders to find solutions that meet the needs of our residents
In addition to her work with MHMR, Susan serves on the board of Mental Health Connection of Tarrant County, Mental Health Corporations of America (MHCA) and as Vice Chair of the Behavioral Health Steering Committee of National Association of Counties (NACo).